Ground Water Field Instructions
1. Your order will be shipped with carbonless Chain of Custody Forms for recording all required information. If more are needed, print enough Chain of Custody Forms so that the deployment and retrieval data for each Sentinel™ Passive Sampler can be recorded on a row corresponding to the sample. One copy of the Form is sufficient for 20 Sentinel™ Passive Samplers.
2. If the deployment plan includes a field blank, leave the field blank in the tube in which it was shipped, clearly mark the tube “Field Blank”. Do not deploy the field blank.
3. Make provisions to save the 50 mL tapered centrifuge tube and the resealable plastic packaging for reuse in shipment to the lab. (No need to match the Sentinel™ Passive Sampler to the 50 mL tube or other packaging materials in which it was shipped.)
4. Remove the Sentinel™ Passive Sampler from the 50 mL tapered centrifuge tube. It is shipped with a metal tag attached to the flat end that can serve as a weight, if needed.
5. Attach a sufficient length of line to the narrow end of the Sentinel™ Passive Sampler so that it can be lowered into the groundwater. Anchor or tie the Sentinel™ Passive Sampler to the groundwater well to keep it secure during deployment and facilitate retrieval.
6. At deployment, record on the Chain of Custody Form:
- The sample ID number (the serial number on the metal tag or other system appropriate to your deployment);
- The date deployed;
- The time deployed (to the nearest 15 minutes); and
- The water speed at the sample site (likely 0-2 cm/min).
7. For most applications, a deployment of approximately 10-14 days duration will be sufficient to achieve a limit of detection of ~1-2 ng/L (ppt) for all PFAS analytes in EPA Method 1633.
8. Plan to bring ~ 50 mL of DI water to rinse the Sentinel™ Passive Sampler at retrieval.
9. At retrieval, record on the row in the Chain of Custody Form corresponding to the Sentinel™ Passive Sampler:
- The date retrieved;
- The time retrieved (to the nearest 15 minutes); and
- The water temperature (in °C).
(The water temperature could be recorded at deployment.)
10. Briefly rinse the Sentinel™ Passive Sampler with 50 mL of DI water to remove most dirt and debris before shipment.
11. Replace the Sentinel™ Passive Sampler in a 50 mL tapered centrifuge tube and tighten the cap. Place the tube with Sentinel™ Passive Sampler in the resealable plastic bag or other return packaging.
12. Place all Sentinel™ Passive Samplers in refrigerated packaging and ship using at most two-day delivery to laboratory for analysis.